The Foundation helps improve the life of the community’s women, children and men by providing quality education, helping to create role models for future generations, and supporting the local widows and the overall community.
The projects of the Nairoshi Foundation work to meet these goals by seeking sponsors for needy or at risk children to attend boarding school, constructing a nursery school for young children, supporting a water project, and distributing food.
Much of the work we have done has been made possible by the students, parents, teachers and friends of Red Deer Lake School in Calgary, Canada through Building Hope Society. Their initial dreams and ideas have now spread globally giving us a support base of friends all over the world.
The Nairoshi Foundation’s vision is to relieve poverty and advance development in our Maasai community by educating disadvantaged children and orphans and supporting needy widows through training so that they can generate income to sustain their families.
The Foundation provides education for disadvantaged children and support for needy widows. It focuses is on the welfare of orphans and children of needy widows in our community to enable them to achieve their full potential in life and to assist widows to achieve a secure livelihood within the community in which they live.
OUR CORE OBJECTIVES
- Provide quality education for fatherless, orphaned and other needy children up to completion of secondary school and, where possible, to tertiary education.
- Empowering widows/guardians through counseling, literacy and business skills training that will enable them to support their families.
- Supporting and enriching the community by providing technical and material support to local schools and health services specifically in relation to the HIV/AIDS crisis.
- We demonstrate our objectives through action.
- We believe in meeting the needs of the most disadvantaged in our communities irrespective of their faith and beliefs.
- We value partnerships based on mutual respect and cross-cultural understanding.
- We believe in equality, diversity and shared learning.
OUR ACHIEVEMENTS TO DATE
- 50 students are being educated under scholarships or sponsorships – 33 girls and 17 boys.
- 17 students attend pre-primary school
- 13 students attend primary school
- 17 students attend secondary school
- 1 student attends college
- 2 students attend university
- Construction of 2 classrooms at the local government primary school
- Project Enachipai
- – Construction of a pre-primary/kindergarten community school: Building Hope Academy
- – Construction of 4 classrooms, store room, staff room, 6 teachers’ houses, student toilet block, staff toilet/shower block
- – Connection of electricity to the school
- Annual donations of textbooks and supplies to local government primary school
- Donations of sports equipment to the local government school (football, handball and netballs goals and nets)
- Yearly scholarships to the top boy and top girl in the local government primary school, enabling them to proceed to secondary school
- Connection of borehole and construction of water outlets for the local community ensuring clean water and saving a 2-3 hour twice-daily walk to the river
- Regular food distribution to the widows in the community
Our global partners are key to the success of our work. With their help, Nairoshi Foundation will:
Continue to expand the child sponsorship programme particularly at Building Hope Academy (at a cost of $400 per year per student).
Extend Project Enachipai construction at Building Hope Academy to include:
– Kitchen/dining/community meeting hall
– Additional teachers’ houses
– Additional student washrooms
– Accommodation for volunteers
– Additional classrooms/library/computer room
– Health clinic
Continue to support the local government primary school.
Establish a structured microfinance facility and provide support for widows to establish permanent income-generation activities.
Continue innovating through the development of projects that will create opportunities for young people and enhance the quality of life of the entire community.